Friday, August 1, 2014

A Curious Man by Neal Thompson

  A Curious Man: The Strange & Brilliant Life of Robert "Believe It or Not" Ripley

  I grew up enjoying the Believe It or Not cartoons, yet I seldom gave a thought to the man behind them, so I was especially eager to dive into this novel from Blogging For Books. The title alone makes me want to read on...
 Robert Ripley led-as the title suggests-a Strange and Brilliant life. This biography gave a good background of his early years, you can see from the start that  he was a man full of creative ideas. He was a hard worker, yet a happy-go-lucky guy who didn't let his setbacks bring him down.
  Bob Ripley's travels are covered extensively in this book, giving a peek at a time when travel was an exotic luxury. The tales of his adventures are a real treat, plus I loved the bits of Believe It or Not trivia mixed in with the chapters.
 The book also doesn't gloss over Mr. Ripley's personal faults. He had some ideas about women and secretaries that would never be accepted in this day from a man of his status.
 The one redeemable quality about him was that even in his cad-like ways he was still sweet on his one true love, Oakie.
 I learned a lot about Robert Ripley in this book and I would recommend it for anyone. 
 Dig in and uncover some curious facts behind Believe It or Not's Curious Man.



No comments:

Post a Comment