Monday, October 17, 2016

From This Day Forward / Lauraine Snelling

My latest review for Blogging For Books is From This Day Forward by Lauraine Snelling.

    From This Day Forward is a story about Norwegian immigrants and their offspring living in a small midwest community in the early 1900's. This is a break from all the Amish books I've been reading, although the characters capture the same wholesome feel. I liked the setting of an upstart town with nurse Deborah, it reminds me a little of Dr.Quinn Medicine Woman. The only thing missing for me was a little more background on how and why the Norwegians settled in this town. There are some vague references to coming over and people they had lost along the way, but I think it happened in past books and I wasn't familiar with their backstories. Other than that, I caught on to how everyone is related  (with the help of the nifty family tree in the front of the book) and I grew to like these characters, no bad apples in this bunch.   Deborah the nurse struggles with her feelings for two different men- does she take her old friend Toby, or the new hot teacher in town Mr.Gendarme?- I'll say that it ends with a sweet wedding like most romances do....but I won't say which guy wins her heart!
  There's no real life-changing drama, just everyday life for these families. The story floats by like a gentle breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment