Friday, February 16, 2018

Last Stop in Brooklyn by Lawrence H. Levy

My latest blog for Blogging For Books is here, and this month's special is Last Stop in Brooklyn, A Mary Handley Mystery.

  While I mostly enjoyed this book, I wouldn't say it's been my favorite of he Mary Handley series. It lacked a bit of the charm and was a bit on the boring side, but that's mostly me because I've never found police corruption stories too intriguing,
  The parts I enjoyed were Mary's interactions with Teddy Roosevelt, the small history facts and stories that are mixed into the telling of the story, and the relationship between Mary and the book store owner - she shows a gentler side when she is with him that I would like to see more of.
  The parts I didn't enjoy: The mystery itself was a little confusing with too many characters, I just wasn't into it. I also wish Mary would show her friendly, fun loving side more often because at times she seems a little bitter and crude. And then there was her relationship with Harper which didn't get the build up it deserved. An independent woman like Mary should have had more books to develop her relationship before immediately sending her down the aisle.
  Overall, the book was fair. I certainly haven't given up on the series and I hope there is more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment