Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Shore by Sara Taylor

 My latest Blogging For Books review is for The Shore by Sara Taylor.
 The cover of this novel looks promising and the dust jacket description sounds interesting, but the book itself was a letdown.While the chapters are well written, each one feels like an individual story. As soon as I feel invested in the story, the next chapter switches to an entirely different one and it doesn't feel cohesive. For instance, chapter one is all about a little girl on the Chesapeake Bay coast overhearing about a man's recent murder. The end of the short story reveals the twist but it doesn't carry it on to the next chapter, it switches to a different girl's story about harnessing the wind with her hands and I'm still wondering about the history behind the murdered man in the swamp. It disconnects too quickly.
 Overall, not my style of story telling. The back of the book likens this novel to David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, which I was not a fan of either, if you've read Cloud Atlas you might enjoy this book more than I did. I was hoping for a more traditional murder mystery novel.
 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment