Sunday, September 17, 2017

A pair of Harlequins

  I wrapped up a pair of Harlequins from my piles this week, so here is my brief sum up of each one:
 
   Baby By The Book by Kara Lennox from 2001.  Your standard Harlequin theme - A desperate woman with a baby on the way needs a job so she gets one making shelves for the rich writer Rand Barclay. She goes into labor while working in his office, so he takes her to the hospital and the inevitable happens as he starts to care for her and her baby.
 I liked it. It stayed the course, the characters were pleasant, and the drama was suitable. I give it a thumbs up in the world of Harlequins. Good luck finding it anywhere, but if it's a part of your own collection you probably agree it's worth a read.

  Fire Signs by Jocelyn Griffin, 1986. I've got to be honest, Pre-90's Harlequins were pretty boring. Settings were usually in offices or dealing with world espionage, two snore inducers as far as I'm concerned. Fire Signs falls under the category of Business Takeovers. Sara is reluctant to give up her company, so Nick buys her out and becomes her boss, followed by some boring Daystar chitchat. Nick makes pottery at his aunt's studio (like Ghost) but it just doesn't give the story enough boost.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment